Monday, July 20, 2009

She's So Happy

The past few months have been tough to say the least. ♥D has never let me down. Standing right by my side. When she couldn't, I knew that she wanted to. To state that work has been tough this year, that would be the understatement of the year. We have had a rough, rough year. But ♥D never falters or sways.

It's been a few weeks since ♥D's last surgery. Late May, she was told that her illness was back. It sickened me to the point of physical illness. Something she did not know, until now. Her plans for a European tour were indefinitely placed on the back burner. ♥D remained hopeful. Between my weekly travels, ♥D scheduled her surgery.

♥D has to be the strongest, most loving, and incredibly delicate woman I have ever met. EVER. My mom, sister, and grandma remained with her when I had to leave for work. One con to my job, there are few times during the year that I can take a day off. Much less the weeks she needed me to.

Through it all, ♥D has remained strong, positive, and hopeful. To be completely honest, I have needed that as both guidance and support for myself. We have been down this road once before, and I will remain by her side once again. But it has been a challenge. For both of us.

On one hand, I would give anything to spend the time with her, at home, nursing her back to health. But I know that is not what she wants, or needs at this point. She is incredibly strong, like Hercules. To just be in bed, that infuriates her to no end. So we continue to travel. Taking all the precautions needed.

On the other hand, I know that I cannot prevent her from doing the things she does. She is an intern. In a hospital, none the less. ♥D is also a woman that is strong willed, and strong minded. I just sit back and marval at the things she is able to accomplish. Completely awestruck. Who wouldn't be?

At one time, I suffered a severe injury. One in which, at times, I wish would just end. But I never had the strength that ♥D has. I don't know where she gets it, or where exactly it comes from. But I do witness it daily as she challenges both her body and mind to do the things she is passionate about.

Today was the perfect example. ♥D was not feeling well. I could just tell by the way she slept. Or the lack there of sleep. But she rolled over, smiled, and said "Good morning sleepyhead." Ultimately, it all ended with us making breakfast together. We enjoyed looking out onto the ocean. But I could tell the pain in her eyes, the slowness in her movements.

After some convincing, my lugging her laptop, some umbrellas and lounge furniture, she sat with me on the beach. At times, I wonder if I ask too much of her. Then there are times that I know I push her just enough to enjoy the small things in life.

I know that ♥D is blissfully happy at this very moment. She received an email from a very close friend that she has not heard from in a while. Immediately a smile reached her eyes. After a quick response, we shared a snack and she fell asleep. ♥D has been peacefully napping for the better part of the afternoon. I am now grilling up some dinner.

It has been a day filled with those tiny moments that make a day worth living. I know in my heart that my life is 1000X's better with ♥D at my side. I just hope that she knows how much she means to me, and how much I love her. D

No comments: