Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I'll Be the First

To write a post. ♥D pretty much agreed to do this with me. I have been talking to her about doing something a little more "public" for a while now. You see, I am in the "public eye." To protect ♥D, we keep our relationship on the DL. But I always feel bad about that. Bad that I cannot have her by my side for work things. Bad that I cannot take her out to a nice dinner. Instead we order in a lot. Usually when it is my night to cook. We don't get to do a lot of the "typical" couple things. I just want to show her how proud I am of our relationship.

But ♥D is amazing about it. She is never upset about it. In fact, she understands. Most of the secrecy is to keep her protected from the public. Some of it, is to well, help me too. But we are working through it. Key members of my inner circle know. A few friends of hers know. That's it.

I first met ♥D when she was performing in Vegas in Dec '07. It was a trip to the City of Sin with my buddies. Finally some time off. We drank, gambled, and decided to see a show. There she was in all her glory. Singing it like no one else. All smiles, all legs, and all curves. I couldn't believe it! No. I. Could. Not. Fellas, I had to pick my jaw off the ground. Her group started to perform to the song Dangerous. I didn't know that we happened to be at the "Lucky" table that night. Man, it was good. I noticed some of my buddies checking her out. But there was something in that look of hers. Before I knew it, I was on stage and she was singing Danger. Lyrics are almost too perfect.

After the show, one of my buddies talked to the owner, AKA ♥D's boss. He was pretty pumped that we were there. He more than welcomed us back stage to meet the lovely ♥D. For as courageous and outgoing as she is onstage, she is pretty quiet and somewhat shy in person. But we hit it off. Talked for a long while. Unfortunately, I failed to get her number. I was just so taken aback by her. My buddies and I headed off on vacation, but ♥D never left my mind.

Time went by and all I could think about was ♥D. I finally grew a pair and called her boss. I knew that she played in a band. I knew the band was good, fun, and full of energy. I got the contact info and gave them a call. It was all lined up. A gig at my joint in the spring. I wanted to request a few songs. The band contact gave me ♥D's number and told me I would have to talk to her about it. Not going to lie here. I was nervous as hell. But I called her.

♥D did not believe it was me. Her exact words "Shut the hell up. Why would ____ call me?" She hung up. Did I dream up Vegas? I don't think so. I called again. This time one of her friends answer. Shut. The. Hell. Up. It. Is. J. A good friend of mine. After talking with him, he agreed to talk to ♥D. She finally agreed to talk to me. We picked right up where we had left off in Vegas. Roughly for 2 months we talked a few times a week.

The band finally came. It was April. I waited and waited for the date to come. Early that morning I fussed with clothes, couldn't get my hair right, and was jumping out of my skin. I felt like a girl. I was 4 hours early to the airport. It was like a movie when she walked out. Glorious. She was literally glowing.

From that point on, I knew I could never let her go. The band was staying at my place. But that 1st night I took ♥D out to dinner. Since then it has been a roller coaster ride. One that I am glad I got on. She puts up with me, my job, and my horrid schedule. I am one lucky guy. I learned that you will never know when your life is going to change. That trip to Vegas with my buddies forever changed my life for the better. D

No comments: