Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Girl Time

I spent a couple of hours with D's sister and nieces yesterday. It was so much fun! We ended up doing some really fun things. And it was like medicine for my soul. I am not joking!

First we went to this fun Antique/Thrift shop. We were actually on our way to go get ice cream. And I saw this cute little store front. I am a sucker when it comes to places like this. So I pulled up to the store. It was off of one of the smaller highways around here. Almost out of sight. And once inside, it was like a treasure box of things from our past!

The girls picked up some old Barbies, dolls, and cases for them. They were so thrilled about them! D's sister found a fun chair. It was so her! Cushy and soft. I found so much! I almost felt guilty about everything that I bought. ALMOST! I got 5 hats (from the 40s/50s), a 50s luggage set (train case, hat box, and suitcase), a handbag, a set of 50s turquoise mixing bowls (5 in the set) and 10 broaches. Yes, 10 broaches! I know. It seems like a lot. And it was A LOT! But I just couldn't help myself. To top it off, as I was paying for everything, we saw a stack of paper dolls and cookbooks. We couldn't resist and ended up taking all of them as well! In total, we only spent $71.35. That is including the chair! I almost felt like we were stealing all of these beautiful treasures!

Our fun didn't end there. No way! We headed to the ice cream shop. The girls got sundaes that were much bigger than themselves! Shh...don't tell their mom. She was at work! :O) D's sister settled for a chocolate milk shake. Let me tell you...it all looked so good. But I thought I shouldn't push it. And I settled for a popsicle. Not too bad.

We ended our adventures with a stop at the salon. Why? Because no Girls' Day is complete without some nail polish. The girls were just too excited to get their nails polished. They both picked the brightest pink at the salon. D's sister had the full manicure/pedicure special. Gorgeous French tips on her fingers and fun chunky pink glitter on her toes. I stuck with just polish...red on my toes and almost nude on my fingers.

It was a GREAT day! Something that I really needed. Actually, this could be one of my favorite days ever. Because it was about fun and family. I really do feel like I am part of D's family. They love me like I am their own daughter, granddaughter, sister, and auntie. Our day was not about how much money we spent, but about how much love we shared!

XOXO

♥D

No comments: