Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Making Her Feel at Home

H pretty much moved everything into her new house last Friday. But she hasn't unpacked. Unless you consider opening up a box of clothes and putting out some shampoo and soap unpacking. The movers got everything to her house, put up the furniture, and put the boxes in the right rooms. But H had not gotten past that stage in the move. So after work today, I went to help her out.

D was a good sport about it too! He brought dinner to us...pizza, salad, and sodas. D even ate with us and helped put the electronics together. After 2 hours, he left. I know he is feeling awkward about all of this. Being that T is one of his closest buddies. We are kinda stuck in the middle. But I stayed to help H.

We unpacked and put away all of her clothes. Except the stuff that has to be ironed. That is one chore that I am lucky to do for myself, much less my friend. We got things in their place...then realized we needed some more stuff. We hit the local Target and eventually the Wal-Mart. We bought 3 rugs, some throw pillows, bedding, towels, kitchen essentials, curtains, and some decorating odds and ends. Eventually we did some grocery shopping too!

I feel bad for my friend. She has never lived by herself. She didn't want to take stuff out of her and T's house. So she has ended up with D's old furniture and stuff. And honestly, my friend could not put a house together if her life depended on it. She also can't cook. So I made sure to buy her things that she could stick in the oven or microwave. Next week, I will go by and help her make a few things.

But I managed to decorate the house to at least feel comfortable and inviting. I put up shelves, pictures, and mirrors. I carefully placed candles around. We put everything in the kitchen together. I really tried to focus in there. Because H has no clue what she is supposed to have in a kitchen, or what things are used for. Now she has canisters filled with food, all the kitchen basics you might need, and an inviting area to begin cooking.

H's bedroom was another place that I wanted to really focus on. We put up the new bedding and curtains. I found a comfy chair to put in there too! We put a bunch of nice lamps and candles in there for good lighting. And just made it an oasis for her to recharge her batteries.

Although this is a tough time for everyone, I am trying to make it easier on our friends. Sometimes it is difficult. But we are all trying to be respectful of each others feelings. I wish that I could have done more, but I had to leave. I have a busy day tomorrow at work. And I have a day of traveling ahead. When I get back, I will check on my friend. And see if there is anything else I can do to make her comfortable.

XOXO

♥D

No comments: